This past summer we had the pleasure of meeting the owner of MirrorMate, Lisa Huntting and her PR genius Amy Florek for lunch in Boston. We had a great time exchanging stories about business and inspiration. Lisa created her product back in 2003 when she was renovating her bathroom. Necessity is the mother of invention, and she needed a solution for the big unadorned mirrors stuck to her bathroom walls. Her simple frame system took off, and now she has over 65 styles available. All you need to do is measure to get a quote or order!
Cheryle had a mirror in her bathroom that was just crying out for MirrorMate makeover, so she had to try this revolutionary product out...
She choose the Broadway style in Brushed Chrome and totally changed the look of her vanity mirror:
The installation was so easy!
Cheryle gave her mirror measurements, and soon after everything she'd need to complete this arrived in the mail:
The instructions said you'd need a buddy to help install, so I came over to give her a hand and photograph the process. We laid the parts out, and as the instructions said, Cheryle colored the raw inside edges with a grey marker to avoid "join" lines.
She then applied glue to both edges...
and pressed the plastic connectors into their respective channels...
Once all four corners were joined, we stood the frame up and
cleaned any glue residue off with a damp rag and let dry for one hour.
Once dry, we brought it into the bathroom to make sure it fit and was level.
It fit like a glove!
So Cheryle positioned the cardboard "placement corners" in the top corners as guides.
We took the frame down and pulled the backing off the adhesive strips.
It was now ready to be attached to the mirror.
We just set it back onto the cardboard guides and pressed it into place.
We took the guides off, and gave it an extra press all around to make sure it was secure.
Ta-Da! Seriously one of the easiest makeovers ever!
No cutting or painted necessary.
Stay tuned though... if you notice, we are playing around with a little addition to the frame.
Cheryle has been busy updating an Expedit bookshelf in her office.
She got to be the guinea pig to try out our 12" Greek Key squares:
She had picked up a pair of these mirrored doors on her last IKEA trip:
and decided to add them to this Expedit:
The mirrored doors are 13" squares, perfect for the Greek Key!
To make sure these 12" squares would sit perfectly center
she taped off a 1/2" frame around the edges as a guide.
Next, since the O'verlay covered the knob hole she needed to drill a hole into the O'verlay.
She used a long needle to indent the spot where she would need to drill.
She placed the panel on the door, and from the backside of the door she pushed the needle though the knobhole and made a mark on the O'verlay.
To drill a hole we recommend using a smaller drill bit first, and then finishing it with a bit the same size as the hole (3/16" in this case)...
She then applied glue (Liquid Nails Clear Silicone Adhesive) to the back of the O'verlay, making sure to smear it into a thin coating so it wouldn't ooze out the sides.
Next she centered the panel and pressed it into place.
Once it dried she pulled the guide tape and was ready to hang the door...
She liked the look a lot, but was really wanting a bit more color.
Her answer to that came from our fellow IKEA hacking friends at PANYL. They are the creators of an amazing self adhesive vinyl that is pre-cut to fit many IKEA pieces, transforming them with color and texture. Their product is a snap to use and instantly gives a plain surface a burst of color or texture. Check out their extensive palette here.
They normally make pieces to fit the fronts of the Expedit, but she wanted to add color to the insides. She requested a bit larger of a piece, so they cut her 13.75" "panyls" in a bright Tiffany blue.
She used 13.75" squares of foam core board and applied the panyl right to it with a squeegee.
She then taped the pieces to the back sides of the bookshelf for instant pops of color...
This company started because of an IKEA hack and some fretwork panels found at a flea market.
I had a client that owned two maple PAX wardrobes that became the perfect vehicle for fretwork. With the help of a carpenter this high end look was created...
...actually these exact ones (with a stripe painted on them)...
I wish I could say all you need is some basic 1x2 flat stock lumber, a couple yards of crown molding, custom cut mirrors topped with fretwork and viola! But in reality you need to measure twice, cut once... a boatload of patience and a friend with carpentry skills helps.
We made an outline of how to do this. It is basic, allowing you to control the opening size for your mirror depending on what size lumber you choose.
You will need some big tools like a chop saw, and a nail gun is helpful too, but stores like Home Depot and Lowes can cut your lumber to size.
(Here they are before the crown molding was added, if you want to save a bit you can opt to leave them off.)
So with out further ado, here is the how to:
Some extra money saving ideas:
-Use the 76" tall PAX as opposed to the 90"
-Try to find a precut mirror at a home improvement store. They start at $9.99, like the IKEA MINDE mirror which is 15.75" x47.25".
-Use lightweight foam crown molding. It is easy to cut and can be held up with a strong glue.
Best of all, once painted it looks just like wood.