Custom Mirrored Gigi Panels
We LOVE when you guys send in photos of your creations.
We get that proud parent feeling... "look at what our babies became!"
Cheryle & I were just talking about doing a piece about mirrored furniture & O'verlays
and like magic this photo arrived in my inbox from a custom client:
I think my exact "Danika" words were :
"Holy crapsticks! That looks a-MAZ-ing!!!!"
We immediately wrote back to the creator of this project, Laurie Sternberg, and asked her if she would be willing to do a guest post for us detailing her makeover. She kindly agreed to give a blow by blow account of the transformation of her piece in a small NYC apartment.
(It can get dramatic, but she proves it can be done!)
AND she explains how easy it is to add mirror to an existing piece.
Wait until you see the before shot, she had amazing vision!
So here is our O'verlays ninja, Laurie Sternberg:
I wanted a sideboard that would fit a particular place in my dining room. In particular, I really wanted this one:
but there isn't enough ramen in the world to make an extra $3,500 fit into my budget.
Instead, I scoured Craigslist until I found this faux-wood piece, which had the dimensions I needed. It was light oak veneer over some pressed wood, I think. It had paneled doors, and it was dead plain, with the sole exception of the shaker-style arched sides and kickplate. I bought it for $25.00, plus the cost of listening to my friend's husband complain that he wouldn't have offered to help me carry something six blocks if he knew it was going to be such a piece of junk. Whatever.
I started by clearing out my husband, my kid, and my dining room. Refurbishing anything in an NYC apartment is a challenge -- once the rug was rolled up and I had scattered newspapers around, and I bribed a friend to come over and help. There was barely any room to move, but we got started.
First, we took off the doors and the hinges. That proved harder than we thought. I would like a electric screwdriver for Christmas, please. Then, we power sanded the top and the doors, and most of the trim. I happen to live two blocks from a local lumber store (which is unheard of in NYC), so I was able to ask them to make specific cuts of 1/4 inch birch. I had them cut the birch 1/8" smaller than the side panels, and 1/8" smaller than the kickplate. I glued the sides and kickplate to the original piece with liquid nails, and followed up with finishing nails, thereby eliminating the "shaker-style" arches.