Hit or Miss: Going a size smaller

We are constantly testing things out around these parts, so we decided to start a new segment over here at the blog called "Hit or Miss".  
Sometimes we nail it, sometimes we fail it... 
and the results are usually interesting or at least insightful, so we decided to share.

When IKEA launched it's Tarva line, we began playing
 around with already existing pieces to see if they would fit.  
We knew many of the 7x29" sizes would, but what if we went smaller... l
ike those pieces designed to fit the RAST?  
Enter our guinea pig, Quatrefoil 7.25"x23":
We already had the Tarva painted in a faux Driftwood finish, so now we just needed an interesting color combo for the O'verlays.  We liked the rusted copper/driftwood combo of Restoration Hardware's  Louis XVI Treillage Dresser, so that became the inspiration:



We sprayed the O'verlays with Krylon's Fusion in Terracotta. 
Once dry we then sponged  Modern Master's Copper Paint over it.
 We also added the copper paint to the edges of the Tarva 
(no spray paint under it though)

The O'verlays went on and here are the results, more of a centered design with a much larger reveal:



What do you think about going smaller?
Hit or Miss?







Comments

  1. I LOVE this!! I might do this & try adding something to frame the O'verlay. It would look a little more like the O'verlay was inset like the Restoration Hardware dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss. It's just too unweighted for the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly I would agree that it is a miss. It's less of a miss with the way you accessorized the whole look (great mirror, cool bronze sculpture ball) but the piece itself looks crafty. The knobs don't seem to fit properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss... but close. If you created a longer plain frame as a secondaryor extension piece for existing merchandice, it may help. Like a table leaf is an extension for the table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should do the same design rh has. You guys are AMAZING. I love that you keep trying new things and there is no way it will all be great, but it's when you lose those ideas, or they get you down, that you stop loving what you are doing. You guys really need to send in your best stuff ever, to the major mags, not just the decor. Every single mag has a DIY, or decor, or whatever section or article space. New brides, new apts., new moms, etc. you just need to advertise by sending in your product to the editor or the writer who does editorials in your division. I did it when I started my company. Call me or email me if you want to talk and I'll share all. Seriously, you rock. Keep at it. There will continue to be new favorites. Plus your brackets rock! I'm so excited to see what you guys do next with this. Stay focused on idea and you can't lose. Best wishes. Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the contrast of the driftwood finish on the wood and the copper on the fretwork..I think it really looks great! I just discovered your product and blog and I am so very impressed with both! I will definitely be ordering soon and i am, as of now , your newest follower...Keep up the good work!
    I have recently started doing some furniture transformations myself and you guys have provided me with much needed (and unique) inspiration...Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1st I LOOVE You products so excited about purchasing some new items for my new apartment! But it's a miss love the concept I think had you colored the knobs the same color as the o'verlay than it would have grounded the whole piece and been a hit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! We love hearing from you.

Popular Posts